Artist: Magnet
Album: Worldwide Attraction
Label: A&M Records
Catalog#: SP-4740
Format: Vinyl, LP, Album
Released: 1979
Genre: Rock, Pop Rock
Duration: 00:39:23

Magnet sprung from the ashes of Natural Gas, a british 'supergroup' who issued one album in 1976 only to vanish without a trace a year later. Two of the alumni, Jerry Shirley (Humble Pie) and Peter Wood (Sutherland Brothers & Quiver) continued working together and eventually relocated from Los Angeles to New York City to form another band, which ultimately became Magnet. A&M Records were quick to offer the band a contract in 1978 and by the middle of the following year, "Worldwide Attraction" had landed in record stores all over the USA. It is not known whether the band ever toured behind the album, but Magnet were already history by the following year with Shirley rejoining a reformed Humble Pie and later joining Fastway. Wood would move on to session work for artists like Cyndi Lauper, Carly Simon and John Lennon before passing away in 1994. The activities of the remaining members are unknown.
"Worldwide Attraction" is a decent album, though there's a real mixed bag of material happening here. It seems Magnet were simply without direction, as the tracks sway carelessly from west coast soft rock to AOR and back. The result is a band who doesn't know whether they are Firefall or Survivor. For me personally, it's the harder tracks that get my attention and there are a few worth noting. "I Don't Want To Lose Your Love" and "Night Patrol" both muster enough fire to justify repeated listens. "Underneath the Moonlight" is a decent boogie rock track, though it's nothing mindblowing. The rest of the album unfortunately falls short of praise, with cliched and unimaginative soft rock being in majority. Though I've certainly heard far worse, "Worldwide Attraction" is really just a run-of-the-mill 70's rock album with a few highlights worth hearing. - (robotsforronnie.blogspot.co.uk)

- BIOGRAPHY -
With a dazzling debut album now released. Magnet prepares to claim a pre-eminent spot in contemporary music. A brilliantly forged work. Worldwide Attraction presents a variegated musical spectrum, from raucous rock and roll to heart-stopping love songs. Sophisticated synthesizer sound, overwhelming vocal harmony, intricate lyrics and a refreshing hint of hot. tropical rhythm mingle to captivate and entrance.
Worldwide Attraction is rightfully representative of the talents and preferences of Magnet—Jerry Shirley, Peter Wood, Les Nichol, Michael Neville and Bobby James. They are a compelling troupe of successfully seasoned musicians, performers and composers. Magnet's nucleus gelled in 1976 from the well-respected band Natural Gas on Private Stock Records. It took a year, however, until the present line-up materialized and the men finally felt the assembled personnel were in their own words, "just right."
Drummer Jerry Shirley, who claims his main contributions to the LP were "threatening people and doing basic percussion/' was the original driving force of Humble Pie.
He was bom in Waltham Cross. North London, in 1952. By 1961. Jerry'd taken on his first drum set which he wheedled out oi Dad. one of London's swing band drummers of the 1930s. 'We lived in a pub." recalls Jerry. Td sneak in and play with the pianist who entertained the drunks."
From about age 12. he was in and out of local bands. One of these played a bill with Small Faces where Jerry's percussive talents were greatly admired by lead singer Steve Marriott. Under a weighty name, "The Apostolic Intervention." this band released a Marriott-produced 45 on Immediate Records. Andrew Oldham's label.
At the end of 1968, while Steve was forming an alliance with Peter Frampton. Jerry's group disbanded. At that point Jerry. Steve. Peter Frampton and Greg Ridley became Humble Pie. They went on to conquer America, release eight LPs (two of which went gold) and mount a memorable career from 71 to '74.
Peter Wood's a classically trained pianist and composer born in Surrey. England, on April 9. 1950. At age 11. he attended the Royal College of Music. At 14. he was writing on his own.
Revering "all soul records and early Motown stuff" as beloved influence. Peter played in local bands and moved around England until he ended up. at 20. based in London doing studio work and playing with the likes of Tim Renwick. Tom Paxton, Judy Felix. David Essex. Kenny Jones. Rod Stewart. Fairport Convention and Wishbone Ash. In 1972. he joined The Sutherland Brothers and Quiver.
After leaving them in '75. Peter started playing and composing with Al Stewart on the Pasf. Present end Future album. Together they wrote Al's first smash. "Year of the Cat." Peter meanwhile guested on records by Curved Air and Joan Armatrading and did studio work for Glyn Johns (who phoned one day to inquire. "Can you play anything other than rock and roll?." to which Peter gamely replied. "I'll try").
"Finally." he recounts, "as much as I like Al. I left because I didn't want to be a sideman."
At Tim Renwick's wedding in Devon, U.K.. at the end of '75. guests Shirley and Wood re-acquainted themselves and pondered, for the first time, meshing careers. (Another well-wisher at the celebration was guitarist Les Nichol. blissfully unaware of either Jerry or Peter's presence much less what would transpire within the following year.)
"Jerry mentioned moving to America to start a new group. Natural Gas." remembers Peter. "I'd been thinking of going to the States myself so when he called me. in January of '76. to sing with them I flew straight to LA." Natural Gas subsequently released an album and toured with Peter Frampton.
Personnel shuffling and financial difficulties ensued. "It was Maggie's brainwave that sorted us out," explains Peter, "she thought of calling Les to join the band." (Maggie. Peter's wife, resolutely remarks that she 'paid' for her brainwave by having the madcap Les as a 6-month houseguest.)
Another Englishman. Les was born on February 10, 1950. in Hebburn, Durham. When he was 11, the family moved to Hull where Les. an aspiring guitarist, found "lots of local bands. I was a black blues fanatic—it was a snob thing, really. Big on Motown and hated anything white and commercial like the Beatles. I tried to set the school on fire a few times and got thrown out."

A1. Golden Arm 03:38
A2. Underneath The Moonlight 02:52
A3. Hold On 03:35
A4. Night Patrol 03:27
A5. Lost In Space 05:31
B1. In Love Again 03:42
B2. You Got The Power 03:42
B3. Bones 04:03
B4. I Don't Want To Lose Your Love 02:44
B5. Empty 05:33

Phonographic Copyright (p) – A&M Records, Inc.
Recorded At – Kendun Recorders, House Of Music
Mixed At – House Of Music
Mastered At – Sterling Sound
Producer – Stephan Galfas
Art Direction – Roland Young
Production – Irene Conrad
Design – Amy Nagasawa

Arranged By [Strings And Horns] – John Tropea
Backing Vocals – Jim Cuomo, Joel Krantz, Paul Vigrass (tracks: A5)
Baritone Saxophone, Soloist – John Zangrando (tracks: A3)
Drums – Jerry Shirley
Electric Bass, Vocals – Michael Neville
Guitar, Vocals – Les Nichol
Horns – Alan Rubin
Keyboards – Peter Wood
Percussion – James Maelen*
Soprano Saxophone, Soloist – Lou Marini (tracks: A3)
Strings – Kermit Moore
Vocals – Robert James

:mgpld:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] To see the link  click the thanks button on the right top of the post!!!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Back to top Go down
lc1570265

Ημερομηνία εγγραφής : 2014-05-03

PostSubject: Re: Magnet - Worldwide Attraction (1979)   04.02.15 19:33

thank u
Back to top Go down
rocknick

Ημερομηνία εγγραφής : 2013-07-19

PostSubject: Re: Magnet - Worldwide Attraction (1979)   05.02.15 1:42

thanks
Back to top Go down
Kokin1

Ημερομηνία εγγραφής : 2014-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Magnet - Worldwide Attraction (1979)   23.02.15 16:55

Thank you !
Back to top Go down
Jeffpop77

Ημερομηνία εγγραφής : 2014-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Magnet - Worldwide Attraction (1979)   10.06.15 17:16

Thank you !Thank you !Thank you !
Back to top Go down
Littlebro

Ημερομηνία εγγραφής : 2014-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Magnet - Worldwide Attraction (1979)   13.06.15 12:02

Thank you !
Back to top Go down
neil karnz

Ημερομηνία εγγραφής : 2015-12-30

PostSubject: Re: Magnet - Worldwide Attraction (1979)   23.06.16 12:33

Thank you !
Back to top Go down
willfreeman

Ημερομηνία εγγραφής : 2016-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Magnet - Worldwide Attraction (1979)   24.06.16 10:20

Thank you !
Back to top Go down
Admin

Ημερομηνία εγγραφής : 2016-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Magnet - Worldwide Attraction (1979)   15.10.16 5:35

Thank you !
Back to top Go down
Duncan P Grant

Ημερομηνία εγγραφής : 2014-10-19

PostSubject: Re: Magnet - Worldwide Attraction (1979)   17.10.16 16:02

Thank you !
Back to top Go down
eugenn

Ημερομηνία εγγραφής : 2015-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Magnet - Worldwide Attraction (1979)   07.09.17 9:32

Thank you !
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Magnet - Worldwide Attraction (1979)   

Back to top Go down

Magnet - Worldwide Attraction (1979)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
NEOLERA :: ROCK MUSIC-
Jump to: